How do I get a copy of images from an MTO highway camera?

MTO’s Transportation Management Centre records a six-second segment from each traffic camera on an ongoing basis in a continuous loop.  While we do record some information from the cameras in the COMPASS system, we seldom capture collisions. The video recordings are kept for approximately 20 days so make your request as soon as possible.

In order to obtain COMPASS camera footage or information on a roadway event, please submit a Freedom of Information (FOI) Request in writing accompanied by a $5.00 cheque or money order made payable to the Minister of Finance to the following address:

Ministry of Transportation
Information Management Services
FOI and Privacy Unit
777 Bay Street
27th Floor, Suite 2703
Toronto, Ontario
M7A 2J8
Please note that if you are making a request for COMPASS camera footage, a separate cheque or money order for $60.00 made payable to the Minister of Finance and a blank DVD are also required. The $60.00 covers the fee for search time.
Please include as much detail as possible, such as, the highway, direction travelled, location, date and approximate time when the incident occurred.
If the taped video recording does not contain the desired information as per the original request, the blank video and the $60.00 search fee will be returned.
If you require further assistance, please contact the FOI and Privacy Unit at 416-212-1894.

Where does the information on Ontario 511 come from?

  • Reported road conditions are collected and reported by Area Maintenance Contractors who patrol the highways on behalf of the province.
  • Forecasted driving conditions are compiled by the ministry's weather vendor and are based on atmospheric and pavement conditions.
  • Highway closures and incidents are determined and reported by the OPP and MTO.
  • Roadwork, which includes maintenance and construction, is collected and reported by Ministry of Transportation staff.
  • Cameras are provided by a number of sources.
  • Traffic speeds are provided by a third party.
  • Ferry information come from MTO, as well as private and public agencies.
  • Transit hubs come from GO Transit and the TTC.
  • Carpool lot information is provided by MTO.
  • Service centre information is provided by MTO.
  • Travel information centres come from the Ministry of Tourism.
  • Electric Vehicle Charging stations are owned and operated by MTO.
  • HOV/HOT lanes provided by MTO.

Is there a cost for using the Ontario 511 telephone service?

The use of the Ontario 511 telephone service is free. When accessing 511 using a mobile device, normal airtime and roaming charges may apply, according to your wireless service contracts.

Can I use 511 while driving?

Ontario law prohibits the use of handheld devices while driving. Safety is the Ministry of Transportation's number one priority.

How does Ontario 511 meet accessibility standards?

The website provides visual aids and text versions that meet accessibility standards. In addition regular testing and assessments are conducted with approved tools and technology to ensure continual compliance with Ontario accessibility standards.

How do I call Ontario 511 if I am travelling in another province or state?

To call Ontario 511 toll free while driving outside Ontario, dial 1-866-929-4257.